The One Room Challenge™ is kicking along nicely and I’m happy to be able to check off a huge project on my to-do list. My daughter’s bed is finished, and I’m really stoked about the results. I managed to build this personalized piece for just over $60.00, and I’ll show you all the steps on how to build a fabric headboard for yourself.
**This post contains affiliate links to help support this blog**
So happy to continue to be a Guest Participant in the One Room Challenge, and I encourage you to check out all the links to the progress on the rooms being done by hundreds of other bloggers. You don’t want to miss it… trust me.
The headboard came out exactly how I pictured, and I’m really happy with it. Here is a breakdown of my costs:
- 4×8 plywood: $24.98
- fabric: $9.00 (at $3.00 per yard)
- thick batting: $19.47 (at $6.49 per yard)
- pack of staples for my nailgun: $9.99
I started out with my piece of plywood. I had the nice people at Lowes cut it to size for me. I chose to make my headboard tall…. 5 feet tall to be exact, and 40 inches wide, which is just a tad wider than a twin size mattress.
I cut out the general shape of the headboard using my jigsaw. I’ve made headboards in the past, and decided it would be easiest to have it all one piece, instead of struggling to attach legs after the headboard is made.
I went to my local fabric store to see about picking up some 1/2 inch foam. I didn’t like the price tag for the foam, and it would have likely cost me around $60 for the amount I needed, so I decided to get creative. I have an old sleeping bag that has some rips in it, along with an non-functional zipper; so I used this as my “foam” layer.
I stapled the sleeping bag to the headboard, tacking it in place about every 2 inches.
Once that was complete, I laid the fabric down, then the batting and tacked that in place with what seemed like a thousand staples. Lol.
Here is a look at the headboard (nearly finished). It’s a really pretty jewel toned green that is really difficult to capture in photos, but it almost shimmers in the sunlight. I love it.
With this pretty fabric being the inspiration for the entire room, I wanted to add some large scale buttons to the headboard using this contrasting fabric. This unexpected twist is just what this headboard needed to make it youthful.
I started off by creating a “tufting” pattern with my nailgun. This is a really easy way to give a headboard more interest without having to fuss with a huge sewing needle and drilling holes and all that.
I wanted the buttons to be very large scale, and I couldn’t find any that met my criteria, so what a gal to do? Why not make my own of course. So, I started off with tracing circles on some cardboard and cutting them out.
Next, I cut out some of my leftover batting into a circle shape about twice as large as the cardboard circle.
I then wrapped my fabric over both and tied a tight knot on the end using the excess fabric.
After snipping off the excess fabric, I got out my glue gun, and put hot glue all over the back of my “button” and the knot.
I then placed the button in the divet created by the nail gun and held it for about 10 seconds.
Voila! DIY fabric button.
I love this fabric headboard and I can’t wait to put all her pretty bedding in place and all the cute accessories and accents sorted out. My plans for next week include: painting the dresser, figuring out the night stand situation, working on the art display wall, and possibly adding some window coverings. SO MUCH TO DO! Stay tuned friends,