Here we are in Week 3 for the $100 Room Challenge. I’ve been working hard to update my main floor powder room using only $100, and it’s forced me to get pretty creative. I’m loving how it’s turning out so far, and can’t wait to get to the finish line with my little powder room update.
Thank you again to Erin from Lemons, Lavender & Laundry for hosting this fun challenge. It’s been amazing seeing how my blogging friends have been working towards transforming their spaces using only $100. There are so many creative and inspiring ideas, so be sure to check them out at the bottom of this post.
Before we get started, I want to take a minute to go through what’s been completed so far and how much it has cost me:
apply wallpaperCost: $49.96 install wainscoting and chair railCost: $9.00 at Restore ( and I already had the wainscoting boxes) Prime and paint the wainscotingCost: Free (paint and primer left over my another project)
- complete diy artwork
- locate and spray paint frames gold
- locate and add accents (hand towels, etc)
- IF there is enough cash left over, possibly DIY some type of lighting
So, my total spent so far is $58.96.
Remember my post about adding Built-Ins around my Electric Fireplace featured here. I had to remove wainscoting boxes along that wall, which left me with just enough boxes to do a tiny room…. a powder room in fact.
The removal process left them in rough shape, but they were worth saving because they can have such a huge impact on a space.
**This post may contain affiliate links which help support this blog at no additional cost to you should you choose to purchase any of the items.**
Peeling paint is not my favourite thing in the world… :/ Scissors were my friend for this part.
After the boxes were all cleaned up, I installed the chair rail using a level and nail gun. For the chair rail, I picked up 3 eight foot pieces of trim from my local Restore for $3.00 each. When I found 3 of the same kind, I did a little happy dance. The Restore is fabulous and affordable when buying small amounts of materials.
The next step was taping off the area to caulk the gaps, priming and then painting. I love how it looks with the creamy white against the trellis wallpaper.
I couldn’t resist shopping my house and adding the little faux pink roses.
That’s it for Week 3. Next on the agenda is to spray paint dollar store frames and create some DIY art for a little gallery wall. Don’t forget to check out what my blogging friends have been up to and to see the progress they’ve made on their $100 Room Challenge.
Until next time my friends,